• Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon

2019 Stephanie Grosskopf 

Search
  • stephanie grosskopf

DNA Testing

I was born this way with the gift of imperfection. All human DNA is 99.9 percent the same. The other 0.1 percent is what makes you, you. Importantly accounting for the visible variations in you, such as height, weight, hair or eye color and invisible traits like increased risk of certain diseases, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and addiction. Medical researchers are highly successful at identifying these disorders. Science’s closest way to fortune telling. For example, alcohol addicts can be tested for a gene called the μ-Opioid Receptor (OPRM1), which is linked to various other addictions and a higher tendency of relapse when exposed to environmental triggers. Dr. Kehr the founder of Potomac Psychiatry is known for doing genetic testing to determine which prescription meds work best for treatment in patients. Now it is not my intent to play Hitler and weed out the addiction trait from the human gene pool. However, if I was on drugs, I just maybe that cruel. Therefore, the real daring question is how do we treat addiction to get the highest percent of awareness that will really impact society?


Now, we all know every parent doesn’t want their child to be a drug addict. Or for that matter a child doesn’t say, “when I grow up, I want to be a drug addict!” Therefore, genetic testing at a young age will help better prepare the family. In hopes to avoid or know how to deal with the situation when it does arrive. Now, I am not saying every carrier of the gene is a guaranteed to be addict. For example, I am almost positive my middle child is a carrier. She is an exact mini replica of me. However, my traumatizing situation I concocted has quaking effects on her life. Granted the only real medicine at that time in a young one’s life is love. Mindfulness to the family would allow them to fill the crack from the rumble that may crumble.


Imagine how many DNA swabs are done a day for felonies compared to DNA SWABS FOR GENTIC TESTING. Obviously, there is no pure breed human and it isn’t enough to rely simply on medical history and self-reporting symptoms. Plus, what phase of their development is the addict at? Have they come to terms with being fully honest?


Twinkle, twinkle, Stephanie star; how I wonder, who you are? Out and about the world so high. Please, come back it’s you we lack. How I wonder, where you are?

1 view